Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Good Samaritan

Today the sermon was about euthanasia. Hmmm... You see there is really no scripture in the Bible that actually refers to euthanasia so our pastor pulled his lesson from the story of the Good Samaritan. If you have heard this parable, you know it's timeless truths. The two "good spiritual" guys walk on by the guy who is hurt on the side of the road, while the "regular joe" helps him out. Our pastor's points were good, we need to respect life & that death is God's job but I found myself going back to the scripture verses. For those of us who sometimes think of ourselves as spiritual, I was convicted about what I would do if I passed someone hurting along the side of the road. I could see myself saying that it's none of my business or that I'm too busy. Would I stop?? I hear stories from people who aren't Christians about how strong their support groups are. How friends and neighbors come out to help them when things are going wrong. And sometimes I think we just drop the ball. Oh, we are good at taking in a casserole but what about after that. I don't think someone has to be dying along the side of the road for us to be good samaritans or bad ones. I think we make those choices every day when we neglect our friends or treat someone as less worthy than ourselves just because they look different. How guilty am I of that?? Probably more than I'm willing to admit at this point. My prayer is that the Lord convicts and prods me to take those baby steps and get out of my comfort zone and help people who need help. How hard can it be??

No comments: