Parent Teacher Conferences at the middle school and high school are SO different than the elementary schools. At the elementary school, the teacher sends home a note with the dates of the conference and either let's you pick a time or picks a time for you. It's a warm cozy atmosphere where you have 100% of the teachers attention. The middle school does it different. You meet with all of your child's main teachers at the same time, usually 4-5. At the high school, it's a free for all. It's open house style where you wait outside the teachers door until the person before you is done. Sometimes there's a line and sometimes there is not. Today, I had to go to the office and have them page a teacher. Oh the joys of high school! The high school and middle school are having their conferences today and tomorrow. The middle schools thoughts are "if it ain't broke don't bother us". Shannon is doing well in school so I didn't bother them. I might next time though cause I like to know the teachers and what they think of my kids. THe high school is more interesting but maybe that's because my son is more interesting. I hear words like "the most polite student I've ever had" and "an active learner". I walked away today feeling pretty good about myself and my son. In a couple of weeks, I'll be at the elementary school doing this again.
It always amazes me how many parents never come to a parent teacher conference. I know they care, they tell me but they don't see this as an important part of their child's education. I think it's just as important as what I do at home with my kids. Knowing my kids teachers and having them know me makes my job as a parent much easier. I usually find out more about what is going on at school this way too, not just the grades they get but the relationships that are being built.
No comments:
Post a Comment